Monday, May 26, 2014

Getting Ready to Tri for Real #1

I love racing at Rancho Seco with TBF. It's so much fun to be out there with my friends in such a supportive environment. It's also a great way to gauge my improvement each year since I can race on the same course. I finished my first Tri for Real in 3:18:28 in 2008. My times have improved on this same course every year since then: 3:09:31, 2:48:36, 2:38:40. My current PR was last year at 2:24:09.

The race this weekend is important to me because I can use my time to see if I think I would have a good chance at earning my pro card this year or if I think it would be better to try next year. If Nationals and pro qualification races weren't so darned expensive, I would go for it now regardless, but I  have to think about this in a practical manner. I know that puts a lot of pressure on this weekend, but that's okay! I actually do better under pressure, so the more the merrier. My goal is knock off 9 more minutes by the end of this season. If I think I'm on track for that, then I will go for it this year. :)




This is also the first year that I am planning on doing the full Tri for Real series. Usually one weekend is our family vacation weekend, but that's not an issue this year since we don't have enough water at Shasta Lake. Hopefully I can improve my times each month. We shall see.

I also need to learn to wear my wetsuit. This has been an issue for me at other races since I just don't wear it. But I need to practice actually using it during race conditions. And I need to swim straight. I keep getting lost during races. I've been practicing since Wildflower, though! Let's sight well this time!

I'm looking forward to seeing my TBF friends this weekend!

Thank you to my coach, John, with Total Intensity Sports for getting me ready, and Gu Energy Labs for keeping me well fueled.

No comments:

Post a Comment