Monday, March 24, 2014

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012

It is hard to describe the feeling of crossing the finish line of an Ironman. It is an emotional experience when you hear Mike Reilly, the voice of Ironman, calling your name and announcing “You are an Ironman!” All of the work, the pain, the fun, is all behind you. You accomplished a feat that many people have never even dreamed of. You woke up at 4:00 A.M. after months and months of pushing your limits and testing your mental fortitude in order to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles. You did it.

I signed up for my first Ironman after I completed Florida 70.3 in 2011. Ironman Texas was going to be almost exactly a year later. What better way to spend college graduation money? I joined Total Intensity Sports and met a great group of athletes and friends with a coach who knew how to push me to be my best. Training was long. It was difficult. And there were several points in the day when I just didn’t feel like going. But, I knew that I was not going to have a good race without putting in the work. The workouts that you don’t want to do are the most important. Those are the days when you really test and build your mental toughness. On the actual course, there are going to be points where you don’t want to keep going, but you can draw from the difficult training sessions and know that you can do it.

I’m going to try to describe my race, but to get a better picture, watch the re-cap video that was played during the awards ceremony. My dad was racing with me. We were smack talking all the way up to the event to see who would be a faster Ironman, but really, the important part is being there with family and getting each other to the finish line. (Yes, he beat me…) My sister was finishing the Disney College Program right before the race, so she flew into Texas on the way home to California to join our cheer section with my uncles, aunt and cousins.



Race Day! I know a lot of people feel pre-race nerves, but I was honestly too excited to be nervous, although I needed to be calm in order to conserve the energy that I was going to need. Time to eat breakfast, get our bags (transition bags were all prepared the night before and bikes are already dropped off in transition the day before. There’s a lot of preparation involved and obviously no time to think about that stuff on race day…) We got to the parking area and dropped off our transition bags. Our day started with a mile long walk to the water from there. It was pitch dark. There were thousands of athletes and volunteers and spectators near the swim start. We got our body markings, sunblocked, stood in a really long line for the bathroom (part of the pre-race routine), warmed-up and waited. We were ready.

After the cannon goes off for the pros to start about ten minutes before the race start, athletes started funneling through the swim corral and into the water. The water was warm, so wetsuits were allowed if needed, but not allowed for anyone who wanted to try to qualify for awards or Kona. I went without, but I prefer swimming sans wetsuit (which is why I picked Texas). We treaded water for several minutes. If you have ever witnessed a mass swim start, you would understand why the nickname is “the blender.” You are in the water with approximately 2,000 of your new friends, all anxious to go. When the cannon went off, I immediately got pushed under water. I was honestly a bit scared from that, even though swimming was always my strength. I felt disoriented and didn’t want to be too close to anyone after that.

I was so happy when I saw the ladder and a volunteer pulled me out of the water at a time of 1:10:57. Time to grab the transition bag and run to the changing tent. Some people change completely, others just grab shoes and nutrition. Do whatever you have to do to finish the race. After the changing station is the sunblock station. The volunteers have giant vats full of sunblock that they smear all over. It was 90 degrees in May, so this was very much appreciated. Next I had to find my bike and started my 112 mile journey. There are a lot of thoughts that run through your mind in 112 miles. I tried to focus on enjoying it. I honestly loved the part where we rode through the Sam Houston National Forrest. And I waved to all of the spectators cheering us on. I do wear a watch with me while racing, but only to track my calorie intake. Everything else I go with how I feel. I just remembered all of the advice that coach gave me and thought about how great the finish line was going to be. And how all of my friends could track my progress online whenever I reached a timing matt. Dad passed me around mile 40-something. I knew I wouldn’t see him again until the run. It’s hard not to tick off the miles at the mile markers and think about how many miles you have left. And that you still have to run a marathon even when you get off your bike. I stopped to pee way to many times. A lot of people just go on their bikes, but I wasn’t that fancy, yet. I opted for porta-potties. When I hit mile 90, I thought I was almost there. But really, that’s 22 miles away. And mile 100 was still 12 miles left! The crowds were getting bigger as I got closer to transition. I saw my sister! 6:48:30 is a long time to be on a bike.

Time to give away my bike to the nice volunteers. I grabbed my running shoes from my next transition bag, had to pee again, and got more sunblock from the volunteers with the sunblock vats. 26.2 miles is a long way to go. I passed the rest of my family about a mile away. They were cheering and partying and enjoying the atmosphere. My uncle told me that my dad was way ahead of me and that I had two girls in my age group ahead of me. I wanted to go to Kona. Slow and steady. Just keep running. People are walking left and right. Several people did not look all that good, to be honest. I had to just keep going. I had a little bit of knee trouble leading up to the event. I promised coach that I would stop and stretch every hour just to avoid issues. It seemed to help, because I didn’t have to walk at all. There were spectators and volunteers all over the course, which really helped keep us going. High-fives to everyone. At the start of each lap, you can hear the finish line. It sounded like a party. I just had to get there. At the second lap of three laps, there were even more people walking. More people looking exhausted. My uncle told me that I was catching up to my dad. I wanted to find him. Finally, lap number three. It seems as if you’re almost there, but it’s still over 8 miles away. That’s a decent run even on fresh legs, let alone when you’re completely run down. This time I was only five minutes behind my dad. I was determined to catch him. We saw each other I think about halfway through the last leg. He was going one way, and I was on the opposite side. I pushed harder to catch him, and now that he knew where I was, he pushed harder as well because he didn’t want me to catch up.

With about 3 miles left, my stomach was having no more of the food. I debated about forcing myself to eat, but it wasn’t going to happen. People were vomiting, walking, sitting, etc. I knew I could take on the last 3 miles. I skipped the food, stretched a final time and kept on running. As I reached the finish shoot, I high-fived everyone. 12:43:49 for my final time. It didn’t really matter though. What mattered was that I made it. To top it off, Chrissie Wellington, my idol, gave me my medal at the finish. I was sore, exhausted, surprisingly in that “not hungry” stage (don’t worry, I ate later!) We waddled over to the food area, eventually got our stuff to pack into the car. After showering and eating, we went back to the finish line so we could cheer on our fellow Ironman athletes to the finish line. They had until midnight. The finish line is like one big party. Everyone is excited. Everyone who finishes comes in to a hero’s welcome. It is an emotional journey, but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment